part of my final module at uni I decided to have a go at making one of
my character Illustrations into a 3.D resin toy- it's a lengthy process
and don't think it's something that I would particularly like to take up
doing on a regular basis but it was a really good experience and it was
fun to have a go at doing something really different for a change.
These are work in progress shots- photos of the finished thing to
Step one is to make a 3.D model of the character that I wanted to cast using 'sculpty' which needs to be baked in the oven to make it solid.
Next you need to make a mould out of silicone- this needed to be a two part mould so had to be done in two stages.
Theses are some pictures of my two part mould- cleaned up and ready to use for resin casting. Next step is to carve in some channels for the resin to be poured into so that the air can escape through them.
This is what the resin casting initially looked like- needs quite a bit of tidying up!
The toes didn't cast properly so I fixed them using 'milliput' I also cleaned up all of the loose bits using a scalpel.
Painting time! Needed a few base coats before I could start painting on any detail- will need a top coat to finish.